Honoring the curriculum of the University of Rajasthan, the affiliating University, PIC students have been invariably in the university exams since its in option. PIC deliberately adopted Competition Syllabus as an additional curriculum e.g. BA + IAS, RAS, PSI and other courses; B.Com. + CA, CS (Foundation) etc. details can be seen in 'The Competitor'
Now this programme is known as 'The Competitor' included in the ‘Best Practices’ of the college. 'The Competitor' is now an independent programme, In its functioning - curriculum development, text material preparation, teaching schedule, evaluation and feedback review system, placement of the students, with the help of placement cell are the main activitites of The Competitor.
The founders of PIC have gone through a rich experience of school teachers training in Govt. sector with the conclusion that— the transmission of knowledge and skills happen only when a learner is positive in his learning and pro-active with his creativity.
- This experience is transformed into an educational pedagogy in PIC.
- It has led us to start attitudinal training for both the teachers and the students for effective transaction of knowledge or skills.
- This sort of orientation has been immensely fruitful before any training of knowledge and skills. The details of this innovation are in the ‘Best Practices’–Jagriti.
- In Indian education scenario, especially in Rajasthan, a genuine student-centric approach is still an innovation. In ICS, RAS and other important services, interview is essential where analytical mind of the candidate is tested. To groom an analytical mind, student-centric approach is not only desirable but inevitable.
- We have to make the student himself/herself conscious for becoming a leader of his/her own learning.
- Though it has been a difficult effort to change the teacher-centered or text-book-centered approach into a student-centered approach, PIC has aimed at adopting this method.
- PIC teachers are making the students pro-active in their whole approach and behaviour, by attempting ‘worksheets’ well before discussing the topic of the syllabus.
- Appreciating them while asking and answering questions, developing book reading skills by key words, and comprehension activities, encouraging individual and group presentations, attracting them to do some research work beyond the syllabus; and inviting them to participate in drama, dance, games-sports and other extra-curricular activities; and thus transforming them into a thinking and articulating person.
- This has been a great struggle with the boys and girls of very remote villages and specially with the students from tribal belts of Rajasthan but it has been the most required and effective innovation in this college, and also the most fertile area for learning for faculty and management both.
- Inspite of the essentiality and programmes of the teacher training in all the quality conscious institutions, teacher training is the most challenging area of education. We appoint not only knowledgeable and skilled teachers but teachers who play with their own creativity and ignite the creative aspect of the students also.
- After a long experience of teachers' training, PIC's management evolved a Self-Directed Training programme where every teacher learns out of his/her own efforts. The only thing required is a strong attitude for learning (i) analyzing deeply his/her particular action and (ii) by sharing experiences with other teachers.
- Observation of peer teachers, sitting in their classes and thus experiencing all educational activities with a researcher's attitude, grows every teacher's insight, knowledge and skill, tremendously.
- In this process the teacher becomes more candid, a fast learner, self researcher, active participant and strong education-actor, giving enjoyment to his/her students and at the same time enjoying himself/herself also (like an actor in a drama). PIC has been shaping its orientation in this fashion.
- The targets are swinging far and high but it is a motivating movement towards this direction.
- Deciding small targets, making efforts to achieve them, analyzing the outcomes formally and informally, and then moving for the next target with an upgradation have been an essential practice of the college.
- PIC adopts this method of functioning, having frequent and brief sharing meetings, evaluating the actions, redesigning it and redoing it. This keeps PIC aware, probing, experimenting and in an achievement-celebrating mood.
- All the stakeholders– teachers, non-teaching, employees and students, feel that they are surely moving ahead and their actions are definitely meaningful, all the time.
- With the fact that we are all emotionally underdeveloped in our families, schools, colleges, and in our society as a whole, the development of our emotions is essential which has been badly neglected in the past and more or less through out the world. The yearly feedback-cum-planning meetings of the teachers and workshops have constructed this perception, and it has been decided that teachers should to touch the emotional part of every learner, with a balancing mode. Consequently, sharing of personal problems increased among the teachers, as it happens in a family also; co-operative activities emerged and affectionate behavior of the teachers was evolved even in their teaching practices.
- PIC has taken initiation in this field of effective domain, though a long and complicated path is lying before everyone here, but it is evident that PIC is creating better learners, better teachers and better students in the college with better emotional development.
- Emotional bonding among teachers and with the management is also evolving, like in a family.